Christmas time is upon us! After over 4 years of planning, building, and spending money, our fourth year of a synchronized display is upon us. We are one of only a few houses in Oceanside to have an animated Christmas light display.
We are on the North side of Quiet Hills Drive in Oceanside, CA. That is in the “Peacock Hills” neighborhood near the intersection of Peacock and Oceanside Boulevard. For more information, see our Where Are The Lights? page.
Hear The Music
When you drive by, simply tune your car radio to FM 87.9MHz to hear our tiny 13mW station. It covers just about a 200 ft. radius of our home. For more information on the setup of this, please see the blog post detailing the FM Transmitter we are using.
Our show runs from 5:00PM to 09:00PM every night between December 1st and December 31st. If weather causes any issues like GFCIs tripping, we will not run the show. In the event of GFCIs being tripped and the show being dark for a night, we will update our Facebook page. I am automatically notified of a GFCI trip within seconds and will post on Facebook immediately.
This year our songs selection is:
- The Beach Boys – Little St. Nick
- August Burns Red – We Wish You A Merry Christmas
- Brenda Lee – Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree
- Phineas And Ferb – Christmas Is Starting Now
- Spiraling – Do You Hear What I Hear?
- Relient K – 12 Days Of Christmas
- Trans Siberian Orchestra – Wizards In Winter
- Michael Bublé – Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
We are hoping to have at least a couple more songs ready over the next couple of weeks including:
- August Burns Red – Oh Holy Night
- Elliot Yamin – This Christmas
Channels: 4096 (not fully utilized)
100% LED Lights: 12,080
For more information, see the how it all works page!
Seeing as how our last post to the site was only a couple of small updates a few days into our 2013 show it looks as though we might have gone dormant.
Fear not, for we are busy at work planning for 2014! We have big plans for this year, as we always do.
In addition to making nearly everything in our show wireless this year using Komby gear, we’re adding some new elements and planning for a few new songs.
Tiffany has laid out the changes for the 2014 display including our new tree, arches, and “firesticks.” Stay tuned for “Christmas in July” when we start building these new elements.
Mat has been hard at work contributing to the Falcon Pi Player project including adding support for plugins, as well as making the VastFMT212R work easily on the Pi for sending RDS data as well as audio. In addition, he’s helping (hopefully?) make the Komby code easier to use.
8 Days into the 2013 season and we’ve had some changes this year already.
1 Storm with decent amounts of rain, but no GFCI trips.
Some sections of mega tree are down for repairs (not noticeable). It’s been pretty cold for Southern California and the new sections of rope light won’t unroll well in this cold. Hopefully tomorrow I can give them a heat treatment and get them replaced.
We had another pixel failure that was replaced “hot” and the string needs to be reset for addressing to be correct.
We added support for Glow With The Show ears. Currently they’re not fully integrated and rely on being pretty close to our tune-to sign. I’m planning on making a second “controller” that will be mobile. The new controller will go wherever the kids are. We’ll make something that can be placed in the driveway, or maybe even across the street at the neighbors’ for the kids (big and small) to enjoy.
We added a new song to the show bringing our 2013 total to 13 songs!
2012 has come and gone. And so has our 2nd light show. Our lights are now off and planning for 2013 is in full swing. Please join us next year!
- Thank you to God for blessing our family.
- Thank you to everybody who came by to share in the Christmas spirit.
- Thank you to our families for everything you’ve done for us.
- Thank you DoItYourselfChristmas.com community for the knowledge, support, guidance, etc.
- Thank you Chris @ radiant holidays.
- Thank you Todd & Dave @ diyledexpress.
- Thank you Dave @ DIGWDF.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Can’t wait to see 2013!
We added another song tonight. Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “A Mad Russian’s Christmas” is now added to our rotation. That brings our 2012 song count to 7!
Our songs for 2012:
- Andy Williams – It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of Year
- Burl Ives – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Gayle Peevey – I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
- Phineas And Ferb – Christmas Is Starting Now
- Straight No Chaser – Carol of The Bells
- Straight No Chaser – The Christmas Can-Can
- Trans Siberian Orchestra – A Mad Russian’s Christmas
We also have a very short intro for those of us who join us at “lights on” every day at 5:00PM!